magnificent bird of paradise
Definition of magnificent bird of paradise
: a showy bird of paradise (Ptiloris magnificus) of northern Australia and New Guinea with the male having a golden yellow nape, a blood red patch on the back, and shining blackish green on the breast
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game