Definition of magnetic amplifier
: a device in which an alternating current in the secondary is modulated by variations of core reluctance due to varying a direct current in the primary so that the secondary modulations may be of much greater amplitude than the primary and thus make the device an amplifier
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?