variants: or less commonly mackerel shad
Definition of mackerel scad
: any of several small carangid fishes of a cosmopolitan genus (Decapterus) especially : a common western Atlantic fish (D. macarellus) that is of a silvery color and plumbeous below
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game