lucus a non lucendo
lu·cus a non lu·cen·do | \ ˈlükəˌsā¦nänlüˈsenˌdō \
Definition of lucus a non lucendo
: an illogical explanation or absurd derivation : non sequitur the whole discussion may seem a lucus a non lucendo for all the light it throws upon the effect of the classics on mediaeval literature— H. O. Taylor
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game