lucus a non lucendo
lu·cus a non lu·cen·do | \ ˈlükəˌsā¦nänlüˈsenˌdō\
Definition of lucus a non lucendo
: an illogical explanation or absurd derivation : non sequitur the whole discussion may seem a lucus a non lucendo for all the light it throws upon the effect of the classics on mediaeval literature— H. O. Taylor
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game