Definition of lubber grasshopper
: either of two very large stout clumsy short-winged North American grasshoppers:
a : a grasshopper (Romalea microptera) of the southeastern U.S.
b : a grasshopper (Brachystola magna) of the southwestern U.S. and adjacent Mexico
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game