variants: or lotebush \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗ \ or less commonly lotibush \ ˈlōtēˌ⸗ \ or lotewood \ ˈlōt‧wu̇d \
plural lotes or lotebushes
Definition of lote
1 : a low spiny shrub (Condalia obtusifolia) of Mexico and southern Texas having edible fruit and roots from which a soap substitute is made
— called also Texas buckthorn
2 : jujube sense 2
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game