lose one's gripidiom
Definition of lose one's grip
: to lose control of one's thoughts and emotions : to lose one's ability to think or behave in a normal way I've never seen him so confused and indecisive—he really seems to be losing his grip. The patient seems to be losing his grip on reality.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game