plural lords lieutenant or lord lieutenants
Definition of lord lieutenant
1 : an official of the crown in English counties formerly having extensive military powers and now serving as the principal justice of the peace and keeper of the county records
2 : lord lieutenant of ireland
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game