variants: or looky-loo
plural lookie-loos or looky-loos
Definition of lookie-loo
US, informal + often disparaging
: a person who looks at something: such as
a : a person who goes somewhere or stops to look at something (such as the scene of an accident) : an intrusively curious onlooker —usually plural … to discourage the thousands of lookie-loos who once jammed the street to get a glimpse of the murder scene.— David W. Myers
b : a person who looks at something for sale without intending to buy it And how should you get your old house ready for "looky-loos" as well as the serious buyers?— Roger Showley
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game