look (someone) in the eyeidiom (1)
Definition of look (someone) in the eye
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to look directly at (someone who is also looking at one) I wasn't afraid to look him (right) in the eye and tell him just what I thought of him!
look someone in the eyeidiom (2)
Definition of look someone in the eye (Entry 2 of 2)
: to look directly at someone She looked me (right) in the eye and told me I was fired.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game