look (someone) in the eyeidiom (1)
Definition of look (someone) in the eye
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to look directly at (someone who is also looking at one) I wasn't afraid to look him (right) in the eye and tell him just what I thought of him!
look someone in the eyeidiom (2)
Definition of look someone in the eye (Entry 2 of 2)
: to look directly at someone She looked me (right) in the eye and told me I was fired.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game