variants: or less commonly long-nosed dace \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗- \
Definition of longnose dace
: a common dace (Rhinichthys cataractae) that is olive green to dusky brown above with dark blotches on the sides and pale underparts and is common in clean swift streams of the central U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game