Definition of long-and-short-haul clause
: a clause in U.S. laws regulating railroad rates providing that the total rate for a distance less than and included in a longer distance shall not be higher than that for the longer distance except when specially authorized by public regulatory authorities
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?