: one that avoids others: such as
: a person who is often alone or likes to be alone : someone who usually avoids the company of others
- He is a moody loner who doesn't become chummy with anyone.
- —Sam Moses
- Many rowers will agree that sculling is a sport for loners who relish the more quixotic elements of the sport.
- —D. C. Churbuck
- … she found that the image of the scientist as an antisocial loner is a myth …
- —Warren E. Leary
: a typically solitary animal
- Black bears are loners and usually wander by themselves in search of food.
- —Mark Carwardine
- Despite the fact they are loners, cats do have a well-organized social system based on scent marks and mutual avoidance.
- —Fiona Sunquist