Definition of logical subject
: the subject of a sentence that expresses the actual agent of an expressed or implied action (as father in “it is your father speaking”) or that is the thing about which something is otherwise predicated (as to do right in “it is sometimes hard to do right”)
— called also real subject—distinguished from grammatical subject
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game