Definition of logical subject
: the subject of a sentence that expresses the actual agent of an expressed or implied action (as father in “it is your father speaking”) or that is the thing about which something is otherwise predicated (as to do right in “it is sometimes hard to do right”)
— called also real subject—distinguished from grammatical subject
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game