variants: or less commonly log ship
Definition of log chip
: a thin flat usually triangular piece of wood that is typically like a quadrant of a circle and that usually has a radius of 5 or 6 inches and is loaded with lead on the arc so as to float point up and that is attached to a log line by cords from each corner and is tossed into the water so that the log line may run out from the log reel when the motion of a ship through the water or the velocity of a current is being gauged
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game