live forphrasal verb
lived for; living for; lives for
Definition of live for
1 : to wait or hope for (something) very eagerly I live for the day when we'll be together!
2 : to think of (something) as the most important or enjoyable part of one's life She lives for her work.
3 : to think of (something) as a reason for being alive He's depressed and feels as if he has nothing left to live for.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game