Definition of little corella
: a small, mostly white cockatoo (Cacatua sanguinea) of Australia and southern New Guinea with patches of bare bluish gray skin about the eyes Little corellas are usually seen in large flocks, such as the one of at least 100 seen near the Swan Bay jetty last month.— Trevor Pescott, The Geelong (Australia) Advertiser, 31 Mar. 2009 At dawn, we would rise and race the noisy flocks of squawking little corellas to the gorges—their naked ocher rock faces pasted against Australia's endless ultramarine sky.— Wayne Arnold, The New York Times, 29 May 2005
— called also bare-eyed cockatoo
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game