listen out forphrasal verb
listened out for; listening out for; listens out for
Definition of listen out for
: to pay attention to sounds in order to hear (something expected) We listened out for (the sound of) his footsteps. We saw lightning and listened out for the thunder.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game