listen out forphrasal verb
Definition of listen out for
: to pay attention to sounds in order to hear (something expected) We listened out for (the sound of) his footsteps. We saw lightning and listened out for the thunder.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game