Definition of list system
: a system of proportional representation under which a voter chooses between party lists each containing as many names as there are representatives to be chosen and the number of candidates declared elected from each list is determined by the percentage cast for each list out of the total vote all of the list systems … give the voter little or no discretion in choosing particular candidates— H. F. Gosnell — compare hare system, preferential voting, single transferable vote
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?