Definition of list system
: a system of proportional representation under which a voter chooses between party lists each containing as many names as there are representatives to be chosen and the number of candidates declared elected from each list is determined by the percentage cast for each list out of the total vote all of the list systems … give the voter little or no discretion in choosing particular candidates— H. F. Gosnell — compare hare system, preferential voting, single transferable vote
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game