li·num | \ ˈlīnəm\
Definition of linum
1 capitalized : the type genus of Linaceae comprising herbaceous annual or perennial plants that have small sessile leaves, terminal or axillary racemes of flowers with fugacious petals, and capsular fruits — see flax sense 1
2 plural -s : any plants of the genus Linum especially : any plant of this genus cultivated for ornament or growing wild as distinguished from the common agricultural flax
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?