Definition of linear perspective
: a system of creating an illusion of depth and distance in drawing, painting, relief sculpture, etc., by depicting parallel lines as converging Consider the way in which modernist painting calls attention to the flatness of the two-dimensional canvas rather than employing the rules of linear perspective in order to generate an illusion of depth.— Roger Copeland
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game