Definition of limiting factor
1 : the factor that limits the reaction rate in any physiological process governed by many variables
2 : the environmental factor that is of predominant importance in restricting the size of a population lack of winter browse is a limiting factor for many deer herds
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?