liken tophrasal verb
likened to; likening to; likens to
Definition of liken to
: to describe (someone or something) as similar to (someone or something else) Some critics have likened his writing to Faulkner's. She likened her trip to a pilgrimage.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game