lightning never strikes (the same place) twiceidiom
Definition of lightning never strikes (the same place) twice
—used to say that a very unusual event is not likely to happen again to the same person or in the same place The team was lucky to get that win but may not do as well next time. Lightning never strikes twice.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?