light upphrasal verb
Definition of light up
1 of a light : to become lit : to begin shining All of the lights on the display suddenly lit up. —often used figuratively to express interest or pleasure His eyes/face lit up when she walked in the room.
2 informal, of a telephone : to show a light indicating that someone is calling When the DJ announced a contest, the phones lit up.
3 informal : to light a cigarette I can't wait to light up after work.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game