light upphrasal verb
Definition of light up
1 of a light : to become lit : to begin shining All of the lights on the display suddenly lit up. —often used figuratively to express interest or pleasure His eyes/face lit up when she walked in the room.
2 informal, of a telephone : to show a light indicating that someone is calling When the DJ announced a contest, the phones lit up.
3 informal : to light a cigarette I can't wait to light up after work.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game