lie withphrasal verb
lay with; lain with; lying with; lies with
Definition of lie with
1 —used to say who has the blame or responsibility for something Responsibility for the accident lies with the company.
2 literary : to have sex with (someone) when he first lay with her
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game