lay down; lain down; lying down; lies down
Definition of lie down
1 : to submit meekly or abjectly to defeat, disappointment, or insult —used chiefly in the phrase take (something) lying down … if Walker does get the go-ahead to implement his anti-union law, the teachers in Madison aren't going to take it lying down, Matthew says. They may walk out on the job again.— Matthew Rothschild
2 : to fail to perform or to neglect one's part deliberately —used chiefly in the phrase lie down on the job While the Sanitation Department was accused of lying down on the job, the police were accused of harassment …— Walter Thabit — see also lie entry 1 sense 1b
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?