li·bel·lu·la | \ līˈbelyələ, lə̇ˈ- \
Definition of libellula
1 capitalized : a genus of large often brightly colored dragonflies usually with dark blotches on the wings that is the type of the family Libellulidae and in older classifications includes all the dragonflies
2 plural -s : any dragonfly of the genus Libellula : skimmer
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game