variants: or lesser scaup duck
Definition of lesser scaup
: a common North American diving duck (Aythya affinis) similar to the greater scaup but smaller and with the black head glossed with purple rather than green
— called also lake duck
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game