Definition of lepidosiren
1 capitalized : a genus of eel-shaped dipnoan fishes containing a single species (Lepidosiren paradoxa) inhabiting the swamps of the Amazon and La Plata rivers and their tributaries and with the related Protopterus constituting a family (Lepidosirenidae)
2 plural -s : any fish of the genus Lepidosiren or of the family Lepidosirenidae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game