Definition of ledger strip
: a narrow strip of lumber nailed to the side of a girder and flush with its bottom edge to help support floor or ceiling joists notched to accommodate it
— called also ledger plate
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game