Definition of leatherjacket
1a : a filefish (family Monacanthidae)
b or less commonly leather jack : any of several fishes (genus Oligoplites) of the family Carangidae having the scales reduced and embedded in the skin especially : a common fish (O. saurus) of both coasts of tropical America
2 : any of several Australian trees with very tough close smooth bark especially : coachwood sense 1a
3 Australia : a johnnycake pan-fried or baked in hot ashes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?