Definition of least weasel
: a small weasel (Mustela nivalis) of northern North America, Eurasia, and northern Africa that is brown above and white below in summer and in its northern range usually all white in winter, that ranges in length from 6 to 10 inches (15.2 to 25.4 centimeters) including a tail that is usually 1 to 2.5 inches (2.5 to 6.4 centimeters) long, and that lacks the black-tipped tail found in the related short-tailed weasel and long-tailed weasel
Note: The least weasel is the smallest known carnivore and preys especially on small rodents (such as mice and voles).
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game