lead up tophrasal verb
led up to; leading up to; leads up to
Definition of lead up to
1 : to occur in the time that comes before (something) Many voters were still undecided in the days leading up to the election.
2 : to come before and help to cause (something) There was a series of errors leading up to the accident.
3 : to come before and help to introduce (something) a chapter leading up to the main topic of the book I had no idea what he was leading up to when he started talking about his father.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game