lead up tophrasal verb
Definition of lead up to
1 : to occur in the time that comes before (something) Many voters were still undecided in the days leading up to the election.
2 : to come before and help to cause (something) There was a series of errors leading up to the accident.
3 : to come before and help to introduce (something) a chapter leading up to the main topic of the book I had no idea what he was leading up to when he started talking about his father.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game