Definition of lead tree
1 : lead crystallized in arborescent forms from a solution of some lead salt (as by suspending a strip of zinc in lead acetate)
2 : a plant of the genus Leucaena especially : a low scrubby tree (Leucaena glauca) probably native to tropical America but now pantropical in distribution and often cultivated as a ground cover, for windrows or hedging, and as forage for cattle and sheep though reputedly toxic to horses and swine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game