lay/put (all/all of) one's cards on the tableidiom
Definition of lay/put (all/all of) one's cards on the table
: to be honest with other people and to tell them one's thoughts, plans, etc., in a very open way Before we can talk further, you need to put all your cards on the table.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?