lay it onidiom
Definition of lay it on
: to speak in a way that is exaggerated and not sincere You should compliment her cooking but don't lay it on too thick or she'll know you don't mean it. He laid it on pretty heavily and pretended to be interested in what she said.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game