lay down the lawidiom
Definition of lay down the law
: to make a strong statement about what someone is or is not allowed to do The agreement lays down the law (to everyone) on what the group allows. When she came home after midnight, her father laid down the law: if she came home that late again, she would not be allowed to watch TV for a month.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game