law of exponents
Definition of law of exponents
: one of a set of rules in algebra: exponents of numbers are added when the numbers are multiplied, subtracted when the numbers are divided, and multiplied when raised by still another exponent: am×aⁿ=am+n; am÷aⁿ=am−n; (am)ⁿ=amn
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?