Definition of lark sparrow
: a sparrow (Chondestes grammacus) that is abundant in the Mississippi valley, is streaked above and white below with the head varied with black, grayish white, and chestnut, and is represented in the western U.S. by a paler bird which forms a distinct subspecies (C. grammacus strigatus)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game