variants: or less commonly lapped seam
Definition of lap seam
: a seam in which the edges overlap especially : a seam in leather or cloth made by extending a cut or folded edge over a cut edge to the width of the seam allowance and stitching in place
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?