krieg·spiel | \ ˈkrēgzˌpē(ə)l, -ēgˌsp-, -ēkˌshp- \
Definition of kriegspiel
1 : a game in which blocks, pins, and flags representing contending forces and guns are moved about according to rules based on war conditions
2 : chess in which neither player sees the other's board but is given some information as to the opponent's moves by a referee who keeps track of all moves on a third board
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game