know which side one's bread is buttered onidiom
Definition of know which side one's bread is buttered on
: to know how to act or how to treat others in order to get what one want He pretends to be impartial, but believe me, he knows which side his bread is buttered on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game