knock (someone) sidewaysidiom
Definition of knock (someone) sideways
: to upset, confuse, or shock (someone) very much The news about his mother's accident really knocked him sideways.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game