knock (someone) off his/her pedestalidiom
Definition of knock (someone) off his/her pedestal
: to defeat (someone that has won a contest or competition especially in sports) They're trying to knock the champions off their pedestal.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game