plural knights marshals
Definition of knight marshal
1 : a former military officer analogous to the modern quartermaster
2 : a onetime officer of the British royal household who had judicial cognizance of transgressions committed in the royal household or verge and of contracts to which a member of the king's household was a party
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game