knife and forknoun
Definition of knife and fork
1 British : one that eats : trencherman a good knife and fork
2a knives and forks plural
(1) : paired and solitary cones of the common club moss (Lycopodium clavatum)
(2) : a club moss that bears knives and forks
b : a key fruit of the sycamore maple —usually used in plural
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game