Definition of kereru
: a large, fruit-eating pigeon (Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae) native to New Zealand that has metallic purplish-green upperparts and white underparts Apart from their size and striking iridescent-green colouring, kereru are known for their comical antics in spring and summer when they become drunk from gorging on berries which ferment in their stomachs. — New Zealand Herald, 26 July 2006
— called also kuku, kukupa, New Zealand pigeon, wood pigeon
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game