variants: or qere \ kəˈrē \ or less commonly qre \ ˈkrē \
Definition of kere
: a reading that in the traditional Jewish mode of reading the Jewish Scriptures is substituted for one actually standing in the consonantal text, with the consonants of the word or phrase to be read being usually given in the margin and the vowel points if the text is vocalized being inserted in the text
— called also keri— compare kethib
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game